Thursday, November 5, 2009

AEDM Day 5

Today I started on my altered book project. It is my first attempt. It will be more of a wall decoration when I am done. At least, that is my plan. I saw in a magazine a wall display with all white objects and one looked like an open book that was all white. I decided to combine that idea with the altered book idea. I found an old book being given away at a local library and it had words I could pick out that related to a trip to North Carolina we took this summer so I gessoed around those words and will include them when I hand write some journaling in. Then I plan to add a couple of pics from our trip. I have gessoed everything and now have to decide if I want to paint it white or make a more colorful background. I don't want my pictures to get lost in a busy background. Maybe a golden color, don't know yet.










10 comments:

  1. Hi Susie. I recognize that inner struggle to call yourself an "artist" and to share with people what you have created for fear it is not good enough. I go through that a lot of the time too. I think most artists do. I do want to say that I LOVE your laptop bag and also can't wait to see what you do with your altered book project. I have not done anything like this ever. Looks like fun. You have a varied creative talent and that is wonderful!
    Thanks for commenting on my blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many "wonderful days" in store for us, I am sure. I look forward to watching this project unfold.

    Buckets of love and admiration!

    http://juliejordanscott.typepad.com/julie_unplugged/2009/11/how-to-create-art-in-a-busy-busy-busy-day-art-every-day-month-day-5-begins.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of an altered book project although I haven't tried one. I'll look forward to seeing this project unfold!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great project. WOW. I am excited to see what you do with the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to see what you do with this book. I have a book to alter, but am hesitant to start.

    I LOVE the laptop bag you made - gorgeous!!

    You are very talented in many areas. Please keep sharing,

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am in awe of altered book artists...like to see yours at the beginning...keep going!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of taking away the words that don't fit and leaving the ones you want - almost like "word sculpting". I look forward to seeing the next steps in this project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like this! I've wanted to make one myself, but never have attempted it. I hope you'll continue to show it to us throughout the process.

    Thanks for visiting my blog today. The quilt was therapy for me. I'm much better now. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susie, I did an altered book with a couple of friends. Once we got beyond the idea of destroying a book, it was a blast. I look forward to seeing it progress.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooo, altered book so intriguing! I've always wanted to try, but can't think of what book I would dare dig into!

    ReplyDelete