Friday, November 20, 2009

AEDM Day 20


There is this decaying barn in Memphis, MO, and I find it fascinating. I wonder about all the things it has been witness to through the years and why it has been left to the elements. It is sad and beautiful at the same time to me in its demise. I sketched this from a photo I took of it. Sketching is hard for me. I have trouble with the perspective, but I am continuing to work at it from time to time. Little indivual things aren't too hard but a "scene" is. I read a book not too long ago, "The Zen of Seeing: Seeing/Drawing as meditation by Franck, that basically said you needed to become what you were drawing. Really see what you were drawing. I am going to try that approach in the future. Like becoming one with the subject of the sketch.

3 comments:

  1. i've never sketched a scene either, i am not sure i am good at it but i love to doodle ;-)
    soul hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In an art class in college, we were sketching interior spaces. After seeing our first attempts, the teacher told us to "sketch the air inside the room, sketch the space, not the walls." Believe it or not, all our drawings were much improved after that! I find sketching difficult too, but love all the other ways you've found to be creative this month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way about barns and I am so glad you felt moved to do this sketch. Lots of times I find that the act of doing or creating something is more important than the end result.

    Something always comes out of that energy spent, something new blossums!

    ReplyDelete